With most of my best friends, it took me a while to open up/warm up. A conversation here, a class there, and slowly we’d develop this close bond of eternal friendship.
But it wasn’t like that with Darrell.
She’s that friend that, within less than 10 minutes of meeting (no, really), I knew she’d have an important role in my life (and it probably had something to do with us fan-girling over Sailor Moon). She’s that friend that I honestly don’t remember ever NOT knowing, NOT being her best friend.
…hasn’t she always been there?
Most of you know one major thing about Darrell: She’s obsessed with theatre. It is her life, and it’s her passion. I could probably write an entire post on just this alone; about how professional, creative, and diligent she is while doing anything involved with RLT-but I want to get a bit more personal.
She is how I am even able to function right now.
She gets up every morning, makes sure Small Lady is dressed and fed if she’s hungry, and take her to day care. My shift starts at 5am, and I used to bring Small Lady into work with me, taking her to day care when I got a break around 9:30-10am. However, with my car on it’s last leg, me now biking to work, and my work schedule being more busy this school year, it’s nearly impossible to bring her to work. One day Darrell offered to start taking her to day care before she headed to work each day, and I reluctantly accepted, knowing I honestly had no other choice. Darrell helping me out in this way makes all the difference in the world. I’m not stressed at work with a toddler, trying to finish tasks by a certain time, and Small Lady actually gets enough sleep these days. This act of kindness alone is more than I could ever repay, but here are many other reasons why I’m grateful for and love Darell:
- She makes me laugh so hard it hurts.
- She’s quite entertaining to watch play video games.
- Her eggplant Parmesan is scrumptious.
- She always lets me catch a ride to Addams Family rehearsals.
- Her makeup skills (especially when it comes to eye shadow) are totally rad.
- If I need a way to get groceries, she’s one of the first people who offers her car or offers to take me.
- She immediately connected with Momma and Rosa, and we’re all pretty sure she’s a long lost sister.
- I haven’t had this many inside jokes with someone since high school.
And the most important of all: She simply loves me, and she loves my Small Lady.
She’s one of the strongest people I know, but has one of the most kind and gentle hearts I’ve ever seen.
I love you, so very much, Darrell. I just want to say thank you for everything you do for Small Lady and me.